So I did some animations. The minion’s now done (pending Mauriello looking at the animations and an animation I was told to hold off on until the framework for using it was done on the programming side). For some reason, I hate animation less now, which is weird and doesn’t make any sense… I think getting back into my rag-doll kind of style made me happier.

We also decided it was a great idea to use the rigidity of various dead fish as a measurement for the minion’s arms. It actually works surprisingly well… Who knew 😛

see LINK post for more detail

_Minion_Hit_v02_Minion_Hit_v02_Top_Minion_HitLoop_v02_Minion_Walk_06

Now, since we’ve gotten all the animation stuff out of the way, let me tell you a story about the poster…

First of all, it seems to be causing every team I’ve spoken to a lot of stress and drama… Our team didn’t have that problem because none of us really cared that much about the poster – I drew my line of not caring at having something that was actively hideous… anyway…

So Tuesday comes around and we’re showing a poster to the class while making a new design at the same time… This new design didn’t look anything at all like the design on the projector, which was just kind of awkward.

Cut to two days later.

We’re in our meeting with Jichen and we show her the new poster design (the one we were making in class) and she looks at it for a while and goes “this is really ugly”. I couldn’t disagree with her – the design had potential, we just didn’t know how to get it to a place where it wouldn’t be ugly… So…

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.51.59 PM(I didn’t make this)

…She suggested using Yaffe’s concept art as the background of the poster. I decided to do a quick mockup in about 20 minutes (that was the one I first sent you with various misspellings and team member omissions) because other members of the team didn’t seem thrilled to do another poster…

So they all liked the design and I got put on poster duty… yay…

First issue I had was not being able to get Yaffe’s image to be more than 10,000 px wide, which was about 6 inches tall on the poster… So I threw it in Illustrator and tried to export it as a giant, vectorized image… Which crashed my computer 3 times… Finally I ended up exporting the background image from the small PS file, then blowing that up so Illustrator didn’t have to deal with the rest of the image. It took about half an hour, but I finally had a background image for the big poster… yay…

Then I had to render out 3 shots of the characters at 3,000+ px large… Maya didn’t like this… Apart from taking a while to render, the cameras did this weird thing where the resolution gate that displays your stuff in the final frame size went off the screen, so I had to do some REALLY convoluted nonsense to figure out when the characters were actually in frame… It also distorted them, so I had to take the nice poses I had and make them weirder so things would be in the frame and the character’s fist wouldn’t be taller than his head… It was delightful… But it got done…

_Poster_GIANT03_Small

So now we have a poster and minion anims… That was my week and now I have to write 20 pages in 2 days and write about the writing I did… Yay for not sleeping…

Hour Breakdown:

  • Meetings: ~4 hours
  • GDC planning:1 hours
  • Animating: 8.5 hours
  • Modeling my beloved wagons: 1 hour

Total Hours: about ~15.5

Positives:

  • We ordered buttons for GDC…
  • I forced my boyfriend to make his business cards
  • I finally actually ordered my business cards (and his too, because shipping is stupid…)
    • Alex_BuisnessCard_FrontBack BuisnessCard_FrontBack
  • I really like the minion’s hit animation… it’s sexy… he’s like a little rolly polly bug of demonic goodness…
  • Cats are nesting all over me and it is glorious.

Negatives:

  • I didn’t really want to do the poster, but it let me put off animating another day or two 😛
  • The minion on the poster is really frigging pink… It took me 30 min to render him out and I didn’t have time to relight him… It didn’t look anywhere near that weird till I had to shift him a bit for the final render..